Summer at DMP

The Summer Journal of a participant in DMP 2006

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Success!

So I think I figured out (with the guidance of my graduate mentor) the last portion of the algorithm that I need for building the tree. I'm in high spirits, though I'm pretty sure that the coding for this part will be very difficult. I created some data structures that will hopefully behave in the way that I want them to, but I won't fully know until I test them out in the code.

I'm a bit nervous, since this portion of the algorithm requires a high usage of recursion; I've never gotten myself completely comfortable with recursion, though I do understand its merits. While I'm pretty sure that the recursion I've created is correct, I won't find out until I fully write it out.

*sigh* I really want to work on my paper. Maybe I will for the rest of the day. There are too many ideas I need to write down, and I'm keeping it in my research notebook. Poor notebook. A lot of the pages that I have written on are dog-eared, since I've been looking over my notes constantly, and making refinements as I go.
-----------

In other news, I'm starting to feel a little stressed. I just found out that I need to start studying for my qualifiers that are in the fall. This means I have a book to buy and start reading. Perhaps this will render me a lot busier. I wish I knew the date of my exam, so I could prepare efficiently. I have practically a month before school starts and after this internship ends, but I don't know when the exam will be, and I think it might be in my best interest to study before the end of this internship, as an evening activity. Of course the DMP stuff will take precedence, but I have a feeling this will just make time fly. There are 27 questions that I need to study for. I think I will study one per night, in order to pace myself, and perhaps read a chapter. This way, I won't overload myself, and I will not shirk my DMP responsibilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home