Summer at DMP

The Summer Journal of a participant in DMP 2006

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wrestling with Angels...

Or at least code.

So I spent all of today wrestling with one portion of my code. 6 hours. Phew! Am I beat. Usually, 6 hours of writing code and debugging would make me want to cry. But I'm having such an awesome time. I'm a girl with a mission, and that mission is to beat the pants off of neighbor-joining. I guess that even makes 6 hours of frustration enjoyable ^-^.

So I got the recognition bit-vector portion of my code to work and it is totally integrated (yes, that took 6 hours!). I've also been designing the main back-end data structure and rebenchmarked the decay function using the recognition integration. And I was very pleased. My results corroborate my claim that the algorithm is robust.

I'm really jubilant, but I feel strangely tired. I'm thinking I'll stop here today with the code, and probably work on the paper a bit. Then tomorrow, more bemoaning the back-end of this program and probably some cries of frustration.

Below is a pretty graph to keep you occupied.


Notice we still have a nice gentle tapering of the slope as the q value is decayed. This is very good news, and exactly what I expected to see.

Anyway, off to finish business around here and work on the paper. Toodles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home